In the world of gastronomy, few stories are as rich and vibrant as that of Stoney Tony's Ultimate Pizza. This isn't just a recipe; it's a culinary odyssey that crosses oceans, cultures, and flavors. Our story begins with young Tony, whose passion for pizza was kindled in the quaint kitchens of Sicily, only to be refined under the Caribbean sun of Jamaica. Discover how Tony's love for cooking, fused with the spirited flavors of Jamaican cuisine, led to the creation of a pizza that's more than a meal - it's a tribute to resilience, love, and the fusion of two vibrant cultures.
Ready to tantalize your taste buds? Join us as we dive into the heartwarming tale and mouth-watering recipe of Stoney Tony's Ultimate Pizza, a dish that's as much about its flavorful layers as it is about its inspiring journey.
Picture a young Tony, growing up on the southern shores of Sicily. Tony was always helping his grandmother around the kitchen and one day he hoped to make his family proud by owning the best pizzeria in all of Italy. Until, tragedy struck and Tony’s father was murdered by the local mafia don. In fear of her little Anthony meeting the same fate, Tony’s mother decided to leave their home and head west.
After months of sailing the Atlantic, Tony's family arrived on the vibrant island of Jamaica, surrounded by the rhythms of reggae and the spicy aromas of the local cuisine. Tony's culinary journey took on a new, more herbal approach while learning the art of pizza-making from an old Rastafarian neighbor named Ras Jules. Ras Jules, a wise and seasoned chef, taught Tony not only the secrets of the perfect dough but also the importance of infusing every dish with love, local herbs, and authenticity. Today, Tony pays homage to his mentor with "Stoney Tony's Ultimate Pizza," a delicious fusion of Jamaican flavors and Italian tradition.
Making The Dough
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes until it becomes frothy.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Pour in the yeast mixture and olive oil. Stir until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 5 minutes until it's smooth and elastic. Place it in a greased bowl, cover with a clean cloth, and let it rise for about 1-2 hours until it has doubled in size.
Preparing the Jerk Chicken
- In a bowl, toss the chicken strips with jerk seasoning, ensuring they are well coated.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the seasoned chicken and cook until it's cooked through and has a nice jerk spice crust, about 6-8 minutes. Set aside.
Assembling the Pizza
- Preheat your oven to 475°F (245°C) and place a pizza stone or an inverted baking sheet on the lowest rack to heat.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a floured surface into your desired shape and thickness.
- Transfer the rolled-out dough onto a pizza peel or another inverted baking sheet dusted with cornmeal or flour to prevent sticking.
- Spread the jerk barbecue sauce evenly over the pizza dough, leaving a small border for the crust.
- Sprinkle half of the shredded mozzarella cheese over the sauce.
- Add the jerk chicken strips, diced pineapple, sliced red onion, and the remaining mozzarella cheese on top.
- Carefully slide the pizza onto the preheated pizza stone or baking sheet in the oven.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle fresh cilantro over the hot pizza.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy the delicious fusion of Jamaican and Italian flavors in Stoney Tony's Ultimate Pizza!
This pizza is a true celebration of Tony's upbringing from Italy to Jamaica and the culinary wisdom he gained from Ras Jules. Each bite is a journey to the Caribbean, filled with vibrant spices and the love that goes into making a truly special dish. Remember kids, Tony only adds legal herbs from trusted sources to his dishes and he always cooks in his favorite tee!